We're Hiring a research systems specialist.
What you'll be doing
In this position, you will support computational research for a diverse set of research areas, including bioinformatics, economics, meteorology, materials science, molecular biophysics, computer visualization, and other applications. Your responsibilities will include writing scripts, modifying source code, installing software, and developing databases.
In addition, you will be doing the following:
- Work cooperatively on a wide range of technical issues from systems planning to support for advanced computational research. Systems planning may include issues such as researching the best and most practical solutions and requesting proposals for hardware and software solutions.
- Assist in the management of the operation of all computer facilities in the organization.
- Assist with our deployment and configuration systems;software like Foreman, Katello, Puppet, and RHEL Satellite.
- Troubleshoot hardware and network problems.
- Mentor and train student workers assigned to system administration tasks.
What qualifications you'll need
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years' experience or a high school diploma or equivalent and six years of experience (Note: or a post high school education and experience equal to six years)
- Ability to read and interpret technical manuals, equipment diagrams, and specifications.
- Knowledge of computer operations, functions, and related peripherals
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures for computer support.
- Knowledge of standard programming languages, concepts, practices, and procedures within the technology field.
- Knowledge of information technology security measures.
- Ability to perform assigned responsibilities with minimal to moderate supervision.
- Ability to conceptualize and implement ways to improve the organization by taking risks to enhance the speed and organizational ability to adapt, change and create.
- Advanced system administrator experience with the Linux operating system.
- Experience with automated configuration tools such as Puppet.
- Experience with software deployment through software like Foreman, Katello, or RHEL Satellite.
- Experience with working in a team.