We are hiring a Research Application Specialist.
What you'll be doing
In this position, you'll provide application support and technical expertise on research computing applications for a diverse set of research areas, including bioinformatics, economics, meteorology, materials science, molecular biophysics, computer visualizations, and other applications.
In addition, this position:
- coordinates building, packaging, and development of scientific software with the RCC's applications and systems teams. Leads the testing and upgrades of existing scientific applications and libraries on the RCC servers.
- researches and keeps abreast of developments in research computing and software development, including container deployment and cloud computing.
- proactively identifies problems where such approaches may be beneficial to university researchers.
- advises faculty on issues regarding systems planning and enhancements serving as subject matter expert.
- works independently to solve complex technical problems.
- provides tutorials to researchers and leads workshops as needed.
- assists with the development of the center's course program, including giving presentations about installed software for faculty and students.
- performs duties in compliance with ITS policies, guidelines, and processes pertaining to support requests, work orders, project management, change management, and incident management. Appropriately utilizes associated tools in accordance with ITS standards.
What qualifications you'll need
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or other appropriate degree and four years' experience or a high school diploma or rquivalent and eight years of experience ( Note: or a combination of posting high school education and experience equal to eight years.)
- Good working knowledge of the Linux operating system
- Experience compiling (large) scientific software packages
- Having used tools like Matlab or Maple
- A master's degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science, MIS, or other appropriate degrees
- Experience with MPI programming
- Experience with programming languages like Python and C/C++
- Experience with troubleshooting, debugging, or tuning scientific applications.