We are looking for a full-time systems administrator to join our team. This is a permanent professional position at the FSU Main Campus here in Tallahassee, Florida.
TL;DR: Apply here
About the position
In this position, you will work with our small but mighty systems team (3-4 team members) and participate in the management of our systems. Examples of the many things that our systems team does include:
- manage automated provisioning of systems using tools like Foreman, Katello and Bind
- manage systems configuration using tools like Puppet
- work with advanced parallel storage systems like Lustre and Panasas
- configure and delpoy user-facing services using a variety of protocols (SSH, NFS, CIFS)
- help maintain a large computing cluster used for research
- work on systems with specialized technologies, like GPU servers and Intel Xeon Phi systems.
- shore up and manage our oVirt virtualization cluster
- help mentor and train eager students taking advantage of our internship opportunities
What we're looking for
We are looking for someone who can take charge of some of the many challenges that our team faces supporting large computational systems and working with hundreds of researchers at FSU.
- Ideally, you have a fair amount of experience managing Linux servers (we use CentOS here), and you have some experience with hardware.
- You may have experience with specialized technologies, such as Slurm or Infiniband, but you are at-least willing to learn on-the-job.
- You have solid experience with support systems, such as database servers, network servers (DHCP/DNS).
- You have a strong motivation to help further the efforts of the scientific research community at FSU, and make technical decisions with the needs of researchers in mind.
- You can work independently in a small team with a flat reporting structure.
- You have some familiarity with systems management tools, such as Puppet, LDAP, GIT, Foreman, etc.
- You are not afraid to learn new things and dive into esoteric technologies.
About the RCC
The FSU Research Computing Center is a small team at FSU with a mission to provide high-quality resources to support scientific computational research at FSU. In short, we manage the high performance computing cluster (among other systems). We are a small team of around 10 people with an enormous set of responsibilities. We operate as part of ITS, and we are located on FSU's main campus. We work closely with researchers in many different departments around campus and support a wide range of research. There are always new and unique technical challenges, because research generally operates on the cutting edge.
Learn more and apply
If interested, you can view the official posting and apply at the FSU HR website: